Sunday, September 12, 2010

Going on a Bear Hunt


These are the woods I grew up in. I love it up here. It used to be ideal for bear hunting, (just with my eyes of course. but my friends hunted and actually ate bear.) back when logging was still an industry! We'd come up in the late summer afternoons when the day was cooling off. The bear and elk would be grazing in the clear cuts. Those clear cuts from my childhood are now thick forest. There is a certain beauty in a clear cut and I must admit that I miss seeing them. Now when I go home to visit my parents I have to make a drive up Charlotte Ridge Road, into Elliott State Forest. A truly beautiful place to be. And it's right behind my parent's home. Oh, we were successful! We did spot one bear. I was too busy watching him to get a picture.




Notice that Fienna is not in this photo. She was absolutely terrified of bears. She was sure one was going to get her. So we stayed in the van. I couldn't even keep the window open. She wailed and shook when I tried to open the door. Fienna would much rather go on a daisy hunt. And it was a very successful one.

No comments: