Sunday, September 19, 2010

Lake Powell

Finally! The long awaited trip to Lake Powell. Eagerly anticipated by all Jones children. Not by their mother. More like dread for me. And I hadn't even been since 2000! But this year I didn't have any excuse. We live close and I wasn't pregnant and my babies were old enough to have a good time. And now I'm actually a Lake Powell convert! I had a great time and was even sad to leave. I would have been happy to stay another day. Maybe next year we'll stay for the entire week. Connor gave up Powell this year so he could attend Scout camp. We missed him! It would have been fun to see him out on the water. And yes, we could have fit him in the boat...I was amazed at how many cousins and uncles piled into each boat. Thanks Uncle Gordy and Uncle Al for being such great and patient drivers!


For those who were sitting out the ski run, there were plenty of other activities. My girls loved swimming with Aunt Linda. With the help of a few flotation devices and lots of cousins.

Fienna really had a blast at the lake. After a day or so we were able to get her in the water. She had so much fun floating around in the frog floaty. She kept slipping down but it didn't seem to bother her. Elsie became Fienna's new best friend. Fi also loved the blue dum-dums Aunt Gery kept passing to her.


Boat rides for Greydon were more about sleeping. It's the only way to get a toddler to nap down at Powell. If they get cranky just jump in for a ski run. In no time it's nap time.

Floating was not to Greydon's liking. At least at first. Mean parents that we are, we kept him out there until he started to enjoy it and laugh a little. But the next day, there was no way to get him back in without repeating all of the screams. Somehow, Caitlin convinced him that a Kayak ride would be good.


This was my favorite part of Powell. These little cousins are so close in age. There are 3 December babies, Wade, Missy and Elsie and Fienna was March. They had a grand time together. Aunt Marilyn brought a pool to put on the top of the boat and the babes spent lots of time there.

Elsie, Fienna, Missy

They were together for meal times too! This became the community green bean platter. Wade, Greydon, Fienna and Missy couldn't get enough. I filled this plate several times. That was after they ate all of Uncle Reed's beans.

And this is why the big kids come....Caitlin got up on her first try at surfing. Was so excited! All 3 of the girls popped right up on the water skis too. It really was fun to sit in the boat and watch. Especially to see them grinning.





2 comments:

Liz said...

So fun! I haven't been there since I was about 12. It looks great. And the waterskiing pictures crack me up- their little legs look so tiny to be waterskiing!

Unknown said...

Wow I don't check on you for a while and look what I almost missed. So glad you decided to post again. Looks like they had fun at Powell. I never did learn how to waterski. Never had the opportunity really and I'm pretty sure I don't want to learn now.